Since 1964, Choctaw Electric has offered this leadership opportunity to High School Juniors based on a written exam and personal interviews. For 2017, we are asking that any interested junior submit a multimedia presentation lasting no less than 3 minutes not more than 4 minutes on something that matters in their lives. Examples are: energy future, climate change, public education, benefits of spring sports, alternative power sources – anything applicants find inspiring and are passionate about sharing. Videos and slide presentations will be accepted. If submitting a slide presentation, such as Prezi or PowerPoint, applicants may send a recording of their voice or smart phone video of the presentation of the slides. Presentations must include an abstract giving a brief description of the topic and citing at least two sources. After the presentations are judged, we will select finalists to be interviewed. In addition to being a lot of fun, the Rural Electric Youth Tour is an excellent leadership opportunity for any young man or young woman.
All winners should plan to attend the Choctaw Electric Annual membership meeting in Hugo, OK. Winners are also required to attend the first CEC Board of Directors meeting after returning from Youth Tour, at the CEC office in Hugo, to personally thank the board and to share their Youth Tour experience.
Choctaw Electric Cooperative sponsors three area high school juniors as recipients of the Oklahoma Rural Electric Washington DC Youth Tour.
The Youth Tour is a week long trip to Washington, D.C.
- Arlington National Cemetery
- The Vietnam Memorial
- The Smithsonian museums
- A night time driving tour of Washington, D.C.
- A boat cruise on the Potomac River
- The Pentagon
Rural Electric Youth Tour is open only to High School Juniors in the Choctaw Electric Cooperative service area. The winners will be selected to attend the Rural Electric Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. 2018.
Tour dates will be June 8 - June 14, 2018.
2018 Youth Tour Presentation Guidelines
- Create a multimedia presentation on something that matters in your life.
- Presentation must last no less than 3 minutes and no longer that 4 minutes.
- Topics can range from our energy future, climate change, public education, benefits of team sports, alternative power sources – anything you find inspiring and are passionate about sharing.
- Videos and slide presentations will be accepted.
- If submitting a slide presentation, such as Prezi or PowerPoint, applicants may send a recording of their voice or smart phone video of their presentation of the slides.
- A printout of the presentation must be included.
- Presentations must include an abstract giving a brief description of the topic and citing at least two sources.
- Presentations will be judged on:
- Originality (fresh approach to the subject)
- Knowledge of Subject (should use title/topic as foundation for presentation/use of reference(s) to support your reasoning)
- Presentations become the property of Choctaw Electric Cooperative.
- Presentations must be submitted by email to: email@example.com
CEC MUST RECEIVE YOUR PRESENTATION BY FEBRUARY 16, 2018 by midnight.
CONGRATULATIONS to the 2017 Youth Tour recipients:
McKinley Payne - Antlers High School, Bailey Woods - Antlers High School, Laney Smith - Broken Bow High School
CONGRATULATIONS to the 2016 Youth Tour recipients:
Indian McNutt - Antlers High School, Silas Maple - Antlers High School, Dawson Sullivan - Idabel High School