Choctaw Electric Cooperative, Inc (CEC) was incorporated June 8, 1940, after a small group of rural Choctaw County residents gathered in Hugo, Oklahoma in May of the same year to discuss rural electrification. The group was compelled to come together following the creation of Rural Electrification Administration (REA) just a few years earlier by the federal government. REA opened the door for newly formed cooperatives to bring electricity to areas overlooked by for-profit electric companies.
Once CEC was officially incorporated, the founders set out to find enough applicants who wanted electric service to warrant a federal loan for the initial electrification project. On November 10, 1941, electricity began flowing for the first time to CEC customers.
Choctaw Electric Cooperative now maintains approximately 3,570 miles of line serving Choctaw, Pushmataha, McCurtain, Bryan, Leflore and Atoka Counties and has over 18,000 meters on line. In addition, the cooperative now provides its customers with a variety of extended services and regularly publishes a newsletter, “Inside Lines" for the purpose of updating members on co-op issues.
In the 70 years since its creation, Choctaw Electric Cooperative has grown well beyond the best expectations of its founders and will continue to do so as the needs of customers change.