The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and Choctaw Electric Cooperative offer safe driving courses.
The purpose of the course is to help drivers to improve driving skills with the added benefit of earning participants a reduction in rates for most insurance companies.
At the end of the eight-hour course, participants receive a certificate of completion.
The cost of the eight-hour course is:
$15 for AARP members
$20 for non-members
Why Take the AARP Smart Driver™ Course?
The AARP Smart Driver™ Course is the nation’s first and largest refresher course for drivers age 50 and older. It has given millions of drivers the skills and tools they need to drive safely on today’s roads, allowing them to remain independent for many years to come. In fact, 97% of those who take it change at least one driving behavior. And the best part? There are no tests to pass - just useful information to keep you safe on the road!
The course is designed to help you:
- Update driving skills and your knowledge of the rules - and hazards - of the road.
- Learn about normal age-related physical changes and how to adjust your driving to compensate.
- Reduce your chances of receiving a traffic violation, getting into an accident, or becoming injured.
- Get an insurance discount. Auto insurance companies in most states provide a multi-year discount to course graduates! (Some states may have restrictions on accepting an online driver improvement course for insurance discounts. Please consult your insurance agent for more information about discounts in your state.)
- How to maintain a proper following distance.
- The safest way to change lanes and make turns at intersections.
- The effects of medications on driving.
- Reducing driver distractions such as eating, smoking and cell phone use.
To learn more about the program or find out when the next class will be held, contact Brad Kendrick at (800) 780-6486.